RED CROSS
HABITAT
OPERATION USA
OXFAM AMERICA
UNITED WAY
UN ONLINE
    The American Red Cross

A Friend

Originally written: 5/92

A rising sun, a day's glowing end;
these are things to be shared with a friend.

A rainbow so bright, a star in motion;
things to look at with a friend of devotion.

I often look at these in sheer amazement;
acknowledging these are gifts heaven-sent.

Yet oft I overlook the grandest gift that be;
the offering of your friendship to me.

And I look at myself with wild surprise;
how quickly can I forget the life in those eyes?

Eyes of a kaleidescope; different shades of gree;
like shades of a mood; from calm to serene.

At times I want to hoard your moods and save them for myself;
to put in a special place, upon my highest shelf.

Yet to do that, I know,
would put out your special glow.

The glow I see in your eyes ablaze;
a special burning; burning upon days.

And I want to keep you for me, 'cause you're so much like me.
Also yet I know, this cannot ever be.

Because to do that, would smother this thing we have made;
and of that, I strictly forbade.

And so I set you free, for no one can keep you.
And pray that you return to friend that's true.

And pray that you know that friend is me;
and here and forever always is where I shall be...

Comments: 0